By Susan Bowman
What is at the Root of Today’s Gender Issues?
In Part One of this series, I raised the possibility that the confusion surrounding gender might be growing out of wide-spread exasperation with the ongoing bitter hostility between men and women. If society regards gender as fluid; if it doesn’t matter, then perhaps some of the pain surrounding divorce and parental abandonment will be contained.
How does this ancient warfare between the genders express itself? The fruit is pretty obvious: the marginalization of women and the deification of men. We looked at the marginalization of women in Part One. We will look at the deification of men in Part Two. In Part Three, I will tackle the root issues which are producing all this rotten fruit.
Deification is when a person is treated like a god. Do we deify our men? Do we require them to be godlike? I think we do. I think we inherit a fallen mindset that causes us to automatically place men on a throne reserved for God. Men, obviously, are not equipped to be God. But because the world unthinkingly expects a godlike performance from them, men suffer from a deep sense of inadequacy which, if you think about it, makes sense. In their inner most being, men know they are going to fail at being God.
How men handle this deification varies. Some are hard, cold and angry. Others withdraw. Some cycle in and out of depression as they struggle to be good men only to fail again and again. Others give up or act out. The wrong responses to this sin just grows the wide-spread belief that all men are dangerous, morally weak and not to be trusted.
Unlike misogyny, which is the institutionalized acceptance that it is socially and culturally right to marginalize women, misandry – the hatred of men – is a grassroots and underground movement. Misandry spreads throughout the female population as women agree to fear, hate and despise those seen as the oppressor. Encoded with a fallen image of what a man should be, children grow to fear, hate and despise their fathers for real and perceived failures.
Because all of us are born with a corrupted mind, we all view gender through a filter that the enemy is able to manipulate. When we do nothing to actively bring our fallen mindset to the Lord for freedom, we are easily manipulated by a spirit of misandry and misogyny. We become like the people described in Ephesians 4:17-19:
So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness.
The Feminist Movement
When a people group sees itself as the powerless victim of an unjust power structure, it will band together to pool resources and gain power. I don’t think such banding together is evil. I think it is a response to stripping human beings of their legitimacy, making them feel powerless because of some unchangeable aspect of their God-given design. The group usually begins asking for basic human rights peacefully through demonstration and education, but historically such movements devolve into bitterness and militancy. The enemy is involved, of course, but inherited mental strongholds cannot be overcome by human reason or, for that matter, by violence. Our corrupted minds must be renewed, our fallen thinking brought to death by the Spirit of the Lord. Let’s begin working on that with the following renunciations.
How to Begin the Renunciation Process
Therefore, let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
Hebrews 4:16 invites us to bring our needs into the presence of God. Since the invitation is clear, it is into this heavenly place that I bring generationally empowered sin, bondages and the “things I don’t know” (mysteries) in order to get help. So let us approach the throne of grace in this way.
Pray this: Eternal Father, Creator of all, I accept your invitation to approach the throne of grace in order to receive deliverance for myself and for my ancestral generational line (tribe) from a spirit of misandry. I approach confidently because Your Son has given His life for me. I approach as a representative of my tribe, seeking the freedom and restoration purchased for us by Jesus Christ through His death and resurrection.
It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore, keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1
When Men Are Hated (Deliverance from a Spirit of Misandry)
Everyone before the throne of grace? Ok. Begin like this: Heavenly Father, on behalf of myself and my generational line, I stand before Your throne as a representative of my tribe to renounce, reject and repent …
- For deifying men; for placing them on the throne of our hearts; family; church; community; government or any other throne reserved for God alone.
- For worshipping men
- For expecting men to be God
- For stripping them of their God given-design and replacing it with a fallen carnal design
- For creating a carnal design and worldly place within which all men must fit regardless of their individual gifts and purpose
- For placing man on a pedestal, expecting him to always be emotionally and physically strong, rich, successful, emotionless yet sensitive, affectionate, but not needing affection himself; supportive but able to stand alone. Then despising him when he fails
- For denying men the right to the full range of human emotions
- For valuing men based upon their physical appearance, strength, intelligence and success as measured by worldly standards
- For holding in contempt those men who do not meet worldly standards of manhood
- For the portrayal of men, especially fathers, by the entertainment industry as clueless, weak fools
- For agreeing that men are disposable and expendable in war or in dangerous occupations
- For reducing men to provider only or using them for personal gain of any kind including enhanced status, financial safety and emotional security
- For promoting a double-standard that excuses immoral behavior on the basis of the belief that men just act that way and cannot control themselves.
- For promoting the belief that men are inherently immoral, weak and inferior
- For accepting that all men are stupid and failures
- For believing the lie that all men are selfish, dangerous, violent, untrustworthy and controlling. For believing the lie that all men are rapists and murderers
- For believing the lie that men must be controlled and manipulated. For controlling, nagging and manipulating men. For using sex to manipulate, punish and control men
- For nurturing and cherishing contempt, resentment, superiority, hatred, anger, bitterness and disappointment against the man
- For acts of passive-aggressive vengeance
- For abusing men (fathers, husbands, boyfriends, sons) emotionally, verbally and physically. For withdrawing and withholding affection and communication in order to punish or control
- For making the man the villain and the enemy. For demonizing men and promoting an anti-male attitude
- For blaming the man (Adam) for all the world’s troubles.
- For empowering the Spirit of Misandry in any way by hating men.
In the name of Jesus of Nazareth, I bring to the cross every debt owed to me and to my generational line by anyone who has hurt us by agreeing with and acting in partnership with a spirit of misandry. I ask that the Lord Jesus repay what is owed to us. I also bring all debts we owe to those we have hurt by agreeing with and acting in partnership with a spirit of misandry. I ask, Lord, that You would pay the debts we owe, restoring all that has been damaged or lost because of our sin.
Father God, Creator of Heaven and Earth, as you cleanse my generational line and as you cleanse me, I ask you to bless men with the confidence to walk bravely in their calling, looking only to You for their legitimacy, validation and identity.
To be prayed by men: I bring every curse, judgment, criticism, condemnation and accusation I have ever spoken over myself and over other men to Jesus to be replaced with His blessings. I repent for any rage, resentment and disappointment directed at my Creator for making me a man. I accept my male gender and bless my design.
To be prayed by all: Lord, I ask that every evil spirit involved in destroying the men in my tribe be held accountable by You for what they have done. I ask that these evil beings be judged by You and destroyed for their crimes against humanity. In the name of Jesus, I pray. Amen.
Smiles and blessings!